Thursday 21 June 2012

It all started with a cream tea

The salmon fishing has been superb for this early in the season, and Alex Prentice successfully landed the tenth of the year yesterday...

"My darling wife has been rather poorly so I thought bringing her to the Arundell  Arms for a cream tea.

So, sat there with scone in hand, I said I wish I could go fishing and to my delight she said off you go then!!!

To cut a long story short I fished all the way down beat 7a losing hope of breaking my salmon virginity and then I reached lydfoot pool and thought how am I going to fish this as it just looked like a mass of swirling currents coming from all sides. I cast into the bottom of what I presume is the Lyd and let the fly swing through the pool and started to line up for the next cast and hooked into a stone, this was no stone I had ever encountered before!! As far as I'm aware, stones don't take off down stream shaking their heads and then summersault in the air!!!! Thirty minutes later and my first salmon was on the bank, I didn't really want to get it out of the water but being on my own I had to get some photographic proof....

Thank you Arundell Arms, I'm no longer a Salmon virgin! Make your own minds up about the weight but I guess ten pounds, it broke my net!"

Alex Prentice